Sunday 26 June 2011

I found her

And on the Seventh Day; William found his place.
I am in Kasar Devi; a small scattered community of homes, guesthouses and mini shops on the edge of an utterly picturesque valley beside a Hindu temple and a Buddhist monastery. Everything here is slow and shanti. The people here seem happy and content with life. They take pride in their beautiful home and take measures to keep it that way. A boy told me in the internet shop in Almora that there are three energy centres on earth; Kasar Devi being one of them, I’ll let you find out the other two on your own.
This is only my third day here so I am still discovering what this place has in store for me. Much to my amusement though; I have discovered that a daily battle ensues between man and monkey. The monkeys sneak in en-mass with the aim of causing nuisance and maybe getting a quick snack at the same time. Man, woman and child, with the help of loud noises, similar to that of a hoarse dog crossed with an angry monkey, and badly aimed stones, are immediately onto them and their games, chasing them off before the next wave of attack. A spectacle which would bring a chuckle to even the most morose, but which brings on fits of laughter to the rest of us.
It is the type of place where after having to walk around with something on my feet for my first six days in India, I got to go bare again, and get to go bare all the time. It is a place where you leave the numerous insects in your room in peace as you really understand that they were here before you and that you’re the guest in their home. You’re surrounded by such nature here that children don’t go out after dusk as they risk being carried away by leopards. It is even the type of place where you are undercharged for biscuits.
On the flip-side though Kasar Devi is also unfortunately the type of place which in five years will have become, after it’s first real Lonely Planet plug, overrun by tourists but is at present perfect. Two dozen tourists at the very most forming a lovely little community alongside the locals in a beautiful peaceful place; where I immediately felt at home and have continued to do so since.
After a curious incident involving the choice of a book and a song playing in the background; I discovered you don’t always get what you want but you do get what you need. Well I can see that this place is exactly what I need but also a glimpse of possibly what I ultimately want too

Two images of the view from my balcony or landing or whatever you call the place I sit out on most days



No comments:

Post a Comment